Information for Tenants
Temple Homes can help you find the home just right for you! Our site allows you to search and find properties that fit your budget or use our map to find the perfect location on the student & professional property pages.
Our stock of properties is constantly updated so check the site regularly as well as our social media pages or register on our newsletter to receive properties that are just what you’re looking for!
Fees during the application process
- Agency Fees– These equate to 35% of 1 months rental + VAT and are payable on the home as a whole, regardless of the number of tenants who are applying
- Guarantor Fees– These are applicable when your monthly income is less than 2.5 times your monthly rental allocation, if you are a student, if you are renting a room, or if at the request of the Landlord. Guarantor fees are £50 + VAT per Guarantor application.
(Please note that the agency and guarantor fees are non-refundable if you choose to withdraw from the let before you move in.)
Fees you may become liable for during your tenancy with us
- Late Rent Letters– These letters are sent after the first two initial rental payment chases where the rent is overdue. You will be liable to pay a fixed fee of £12.00 inc VAT for each late rent letter or email.
- Lock Out Fee- This charge can be easily avoided, however, if you are locked out of your home this will incur a charge of £36.00 inc VAT minimum if we are required to visit your home and provide you with access, this cost will only vary depending on your homes distance from our office. If you can attend our offices in person, you will be able to collect a spare set of keys and leave a £30.00 deposit, which will be returned in full if the keys are returned the same day.
- Addendum Fee (please note this is subject to the Landlords agreement to add an addendum to the tenancy agreement) – If you would like to request changes to the terms or clauses in the tenancy agreement during the period of your tenancy with us, then a fee of £50 inc VAT is payable to draft and add any required terms as an addendum to your existing tenancy agreement.
- Breaking the contract and leaving the tenancy early (please note this is subject to the Landlords agreement to release you from the tenancy agreement) - If the you wish to end the tenancy prior to end of the term, you will be liable for a charge equivalent to the Landlord’s costs or other losses that the Landlord may incur. The exact amount of this charge will be outlined in clause 11.2 of the tenancy agreement you will sign before moving in to your home.
Not lived in Bristol before or want to ask any questions? Not a problem at all – get in contact and we’ll be happy to discuss your needs and make recommendations from our current stock of properties.
We carry out viewings 6 days a week, between our office hours of 8.30am – 5:30pm Monday to Friday, with additional viewing slots available on evenings and weekends. So contact us and we’ll get your viewing booked in!
Now you’ve found your new home Temple Homes take information from you such as your contact information and a brief bio about yourself so we can inform the landlord of your intention to rent their property and make the initial offer. Landlords do occasionally want to meet tenants before the let is confirmed but this is often an informal meeting, so that both parties can meet prior to start of the referencing process.
When the let has been agreed – subject to referencing – by the Landlord we require your agency fee and where applicable a guarantor fee.
The agency and guarantor fees are non-refundable if you choose to pull out of the let before you move in.
The agency & guarantor fees can be paid to Temple Homes via bank transfer (in-branch or online).
When your payments have been received and all referencing forms have been returned, your property will be taken off the market and we will begin the referencing process.
Temple Homes reference check each tenant ourselves to make the whole process as quick as possible. Referencing is a necessary part of the process for your application to be accepted by the landlord but don’t worry there are no hidden extra charges – all referencing charges are part of your initial agency fee. As part of this process we will also contact a credit reference agency to perform financial checks. It is better to make us aware of any potential issues early, as we can often find a suitable solution – the earlier you let us know the less chance of any delay to your application!
You will need to provide us with the following details:
· Previous landlord details
· A personal reference
· Bank account details
· Passport or driving licence
· Any employer details or proof of student status
· Proof of Address i.e. utility bill
If you are self-employed then we will require the following in addition to perform reference checks:
· Accountants details & reference
· Proof of your income
If you are from overseas but have lived in the UK for 3 or more years then we will also require:
· Proof of your overseas address
· Any visa or worker registration documents
· A character or employers reference
· Your employment contract where applicable
We normally aim to have all referencing completed within seven days of you returning your completed referencing form and supporting documentation – if you’re moving in to a property on short notice then please make sure to have these with us at the earliest possible point and to have contacted all referees named on your form, to avoid any delays to your moving in date.
Right To Rent Check
Private landlords, including people who sub-let or take in a lodger, and their agents must carry out a Right to Rent check on any adult occupier of their premises in England. Further information on these checks can be found at; http://england.shelter.
So Temple Homes have had your agency fee, successfully completed your referencing, you’ve signed your tenancy agreement and the landlord has agreed the tenancy – all that’s left to do is transfer your first months rent & deposit. We will send you an invoice prior to moving in so you know exactly how much you have left to pay.
To not cause any delay all tenants funds need to have cleared before the move-in day and can be paid either by cash, cheque or for the quickest outcome by bank transfer.
First Month’s RentYour first months rent is required before you can move in to the property. The easiest way is to set this up online to the bank account details provided to you, or standing order mandate forms are available on request if you do not use online banking. You will be made aware of your rent due date and confirmation that your standing orders have been set up will be required, before the start of the tenancy. Deposit: All tenants must provide a deposit which equates to 1 and a half months rent. To arrive at this number the months rent is multiplied by 1.5. For example if your rent was £600 a month your deposit would be £900. All deposits are registered with the Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS) through Temple Homes unless the Landlord wishes to use another deposit scheme – the contact details of the DPS are as follows: The Deposit Protection Service,The Pavilions Bridgwater Road Bristol BS99 6AA Dedicated telephone number: 0330 303 0030 You will receive confirmation to show that your deposit has been successfully registered within 14 days of paying your deposit. Registering your deposit is a legal requirement and aims to ensure that you get all or part of your deposit back at the end of your tenancy.
Temple Homes are committed to making sure tenants have the best experience of living in their new home and as a result we are available to be contacted between 8.30am – 5:30pm Monday to Saturday if you have any queries.
If you have any complaints then please contact us and we will provide you with our complaints procedure document. We are a member of The Property Ombudsman, a redress scheme that governs complaints against property professionals in the UK. If you feel at any point that the way we have handled a complaint or they way we work has fallen below the correct standards then we would recommend contacting The Property Ombudsman – their website is full of information to help you if such an issue arises. http://www.tpos.co.uk/
If you have issues with the house or any appliances that require attention then please let us know ASAP to avoid any delays in solving these problems. We will let you know in your tenant document pack who to contact if such an issue arises, as some properties will be looked after by Temple Homes and others directly by the landlords.
For maintenance requests on our managed homes we have a dedicated email which is firstname.lastname@example.org
If at any point you are unsure who to contact then please call or e-mail us as we’ll happily help you find the right person.
Our details are 0117 205 0055 and email@example.com
Renewing your tenancy
Temple Homes hope that our efforts to find you a new home mean that at the end of your tenancy you wish to extend it further. At Temple Homes we don’t believe in charging you to renew your lease. Renewal of your tenancy is naturally at the discretion of the landlord and so can not be guaranteed.
It’s either the end of your tenancy or you’re moving on to a new locality but we hope you enjoyed your experience with Temple Homes.
We will require your notice in writing, to say that you are vacating the property. Temple Homes will then start to market your property again on the open market but we will provide you with at least 24 hours notice of any viewings.
Temple Homes will e-mail you with details of the moving out process which will involve you dropping all of the sets of keys for the property back to our offices. Temple Homes will then either conduct an inspection of the property or instruct the landlord that the property is ready for inspection.
We do our best to work with you in order for your full deposit to be returned but please make all reasonable efforts to leave the property as you found it when you moved in. You will be informed of the details of any deductions made if any should arise. As the deposits are registered, any disputes will be handled by a third party.
If there are no disputes your deposit will be returned to you within 14 working days of your final day of tenancy by bank transfer.
If you liked your experience with Temple Homes we would really appreciate your feedback.